Wednesday 20 April 2016

Critical Reflection On SEM2902

This is a reflection of what I have learnt and done during the module SEM2902, Interpersonal and Work Communication

Communication is essential in everyone's life. I believed that majority would assume that as long as a message is brought across to the other party regardless through verbal or non-verbal, learning how to communicate effectively is not necessary.

But fortunately, for me, i am glad that I have the opportunity to learn this module. This help me become more aware of my verbal and non-verbal cues when I communicate with the other party.

I have learned a lot from this module, like verbal and non-verbal communication. Verbal communication is a way to express ourself and non-verbal communication can either reinforce, contradict, substitute, complement or accent a message. Sometimes the way I speak and my non-verbal gestures might not work out hand in hand and it might seem like a contraction due to my sub-conscious gestures. Thus, learning to become more sensitive to body language and non-verbal cues can make me a better presenter. Therefore presenting without a script is very important to me because it makes me engage with the audience and I can see their expressions. Non-verbal signals can increase trust, clarity and add interest to my presentation when yielded properly.

I have also learned about how to manage a conflict using Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI). This has also made me learn about the people around me. I can now better understand them by knowing how they react in a conflict situation. Conflict situations are usually unsolved because a person is assertive and uncooperative, thus we must know a person's character when trying to resolve a conflict.



From this module, I have learned many things in this course. It has given me a better understanding of interpersonal communication, to be specific, verbal and non-verbal communication. It will definitely help me when I have presentation in the future. It has also allowed me to read non-verbal gestures better so that if a person seems uninterested when I am talking, I would be able to read and know that I should back off.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much, Keryl, for this detailed post, for your hard work and for the positive attitude about communication. I wish you the best on your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete